Monday, August 31, 2009

Yum Yum Smoothie

Today I went to the endocrinologist and began a new round of blood and kidney tests. It will take 2 weeks to get the results back, but I am optimistic. I will keep you posted.
Waiting at the doctor's office gave me time to reread the Logic stage of A Well-Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer and Jessie Wise. I love this book! It is my home school handbook. If you want to home school, are interested in learning about home schooling, or just curious, I highly recommend this book. When I got home I ordered the last of the books we need to have in order to start school next week. Honestly, looking at all of the lessons, made home schooling feel a little daunting. It is such a responsibility! I would be lying if I told you I wasn't worried about being a good-enough teacher. However, then I quickly thought back to all of the not good-enough teachers we've had in the school system, and about how that daunting responsibility is what enables me to be a good teacher. This evening I am feeling better about it. The best way for me to get over the fear is to jump in with both feet. Tomorrow I will be working on their schedules and first few weeks of lessons.
Tonight we were pressed for time because Phillip had soccer practice and Emma had chorus rehearsal. I was able to get the kids fed, but did not have time to prepare something for us since we weren't in the mood for salad today. Solution: Wayne and I made an experimental smoothie this evening which turned out to be wonderful! I had bought a young coconut yesterday and emptied the water and meat into the Vitamix. Next I added fresh pineapple, mango, strawberries, and banana. We had some ground flax seed so I threw that in as well with a couple dates to add a bit of sweetness. Wayne looked a little afraid, but once he tasted it he really like it! It was very good and earned the name "Yum Yum Smoothie." We highly recommend it.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Katy! We homeschool too. This is year 3 for us and we love it. The Well-Trained Mind book is my favorite. We also enjoy her daughter's STORY OF THE WORLD books for history and this year I'm also using her writing curriculum for Kaia since the act of writing has been difficult for her (the opposite of her sister.) If you want more ideas, take a look at my blog: http://homeschoolingwhileworking.blogspot.com/

    Would love to chat sometime. Look me up on FB!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Phillip's 1st trip to the beach

Phillip's 1st trip to the beach
"I love this place!"

Beautiful Emma

Beautiful Emma
"I'm a model."

Sandtrap

Sandtrap
"Where are my toes? I can't see my toes."