Thursday, August 6, 2009

Doctor's Visits

Today I had to take Jake to get a physical.  He was GREAT!  The doctor if he continues growing at the same rate he will be 6'4".  I can't believe that my first baby is so grown up -- he even had to turn his head and cough today.  They asked him how many cups of milk he drank per day.  Anyone who knows Jake knows that he doesn't really like to drink milk.  She encouraged him to drink more milk and then gave us a handout on calcium rich foods.  On the list were lots of things like yogurt, hard cheese, soft cheese, even macaroni and cheese.  I was amazed!  Also on the list were a few other things like cooked spinach and roasted almonds.  No raw fruits or vegetables.

Last week I quit buying milk altogether.  Currently, all of my family drinks almond milk.  I have bought some from the grocery, but really prefer making in the Vitamix.  It is really easy.  At first, Jake and Emma rolled their eyes and asked why they had to drink this stuff.  But, when they saw Phillip (who didn't know it a different kind of milk and is by far my pickiest eater) chug it down without complaints they decided to try it.  To their surprise they really liked it.  When we went to the grocery store Emma even said, "Hey mom we need more almond milk."

Jake asked me later if I thought he was getting enough calcium in his diet.  We came home and looked up all of the fruits, vegetables, and nuts that he eats on a regular basis and discovered he is getting more than enough calcium.  He was relieved.  It would be nice to see more fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds on that list!

1 comment:

  1. Katy--you are really making me want to try this. Keep posting. Love you. Liz

    ReplyDelete

Phillip's 1st trip to the beach

Phillip's 1st trip to the beach
"I love this place!"

Beautiful Emma

Beautiful Emma
"I'm a model."

Sandtrap

Sandtrap
"Where are my toes? I can't see my toes."