Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Shout out to Liz!

I have to start today's blog with a shout out to my good friend Liz and her daughter. They started a raw diet late last week and I received an email from her today saying that she was doing very well and was amazed how good she felt. She also said she was not hungry at all. I am so excited for her! Liz is one of those people that is just comforting to be around. I feel at home with her and she has inspired me in so many ways -- I am glad that I have inspired her, too!

Today was a crazy busy day for us at home! We were running all over and spent a good bit of the time at the library. I wanted to spend as much time on school as we could before we had to pick Phillip up from school so Jake, Emma and I all had a raw food bar that I just found at Whole Foods. Jake and Emma were unsure, but loved the Raw Revolution chocolate chip cookie dough bars. I had one that was chocolate hazelnut flavored -- it was very good, I am sure that I would have eaten that even when I wasn't eating raw foods. Wayne likes the Lärabar, but I have yet to try one of those. These bars taste so good and are a great way to snack while we are busy and not able to prepare a meal. I will be buying more. As an aside, I just figured out how to put those two little dots above the a in Lärabar -- you hold the alt key and type the letter u (for umlaut) and then type the letter you want under the umlaut. I am very proud of myself for figuring this out, if you can't tell.

Anyway, we chose our next novel while we were at the library -- we will be reading The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. I am excited about it because I remember loving it; I hope Jake and Emma will like it, too. We were able to check out 2 identical copies at the library so we can read it together. We also talked about Kohlberg's stages of Moral Development. It was interesting to hear children's views on these stages and their experiences with them while dealing with adults. I am definitely guilty of spending my fair share of time in Stage 1 thinking. We made it a goal to try and advance our thinking in school and at home. Thanks to Rafe Esquith for suggesting Kohlberg in his book, Teach Like Your Hair is on Fire. It was a very fruitful discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Phillip's 1st trip to the beach

Phillip's 1st trip to the beach
"I love this place!"

Beautiful Emma

Beautiful Emma
"I'm a model."

Sandtrap

Sandtrap
"Where are my toes? I can't see my toes."