Thursday, September 10, 2009

I Needed Some Green Goddess Soup b/c of my school district

Tonight I wasn't expecting Wayne to be home for dinner so I hadn't planned to make anything. I like just drinking a green smoothie for dinner, but he usually likes something that you chew. He called to say he was on his way home so I just decided to throw some things in the blender and see what happened. When he walked in and saw green stuff in the blender he was a little disappointed I could tell. (In all honesty, I've tried a few tragic raw soup recipes online so his disappointment was not unfounded.) I told him not to be disappointed yet because this recipe came from my head. I couldn't tell if that comforted him in any way, but he got a spoon and took a sip. His face lit up as he exclaimed, "This is really good!" I named it Green Goddess Soup:
3 heirloom tomatoes -- seeds and all
2 avocados
1 red pepper seeded
1 head of romaine lettuce
1 bunch of cilantro
1 garlic clove
1 Tbsp raw agave nectar
cumin to taste
chili powder to taste
cayenne pepper to taste (ours was pretty spicy -- made your lips tingle)
Sea salt and pepper to taste

Needless to say, he ate it all without complaint.

I needed to Green Goddess Soup tonight because it gave me the fire I needed to shoot off a letter to the School Superintendent. He sent a letter to the district explaining lame excuses why they chose not to show the President's speech yesterday (like they did not have enough time to read the speech beforehand, and the concern of many parents that the speech would be controversial). I know, my children aren't even in public school anymore, but I am still part of the public that pays taxes so that all children will have an opportunity to receive an education. Here is what I said:

Dear Douglas W. Otto,

Thank you for sending a letter to the school district parents. I appreciate your attempt to communicate with us despite the late hour. That being said, I completely disagree with your decision and think your reasons for choosing to not show the president's speech are simply excuses. Our children are watching us, all of us, not just the president. What you have taught them is that when they disagree with someone they do not have to listen to them. That is not the way the world works. The school district is not just responsible for teaching our children to pass standardized tests, it is responsible for educating our children in ways that will help them be responsible, respectful adults. We have failed them. I am disappointed in your decision not to show the speech. If we cannot teach our children to show common courtesy and respect to the President of the United States (no matter what your political affiliation), how can we expect our children to be respectful and courteous to their teachers and principals. We have done our children a great disservice.

Respectfully,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Phillip's 1st trip to the beach

Phillip's 1st trip to the beach
"I love this place!"

Beautiful Emma

Beautiful Emma
"I'm a model."

Sandtrap

Sandtrap
"Where are my toes? I can't see my toes."