Monday, September 21, 2009

Music to my ears!


I went to the grocery this morning. The kids helped me unload the care because we planned to eat lunch and watch Beowulf together. They just finished reading Beowulf and I promised them that when we finished studying it they could watch the movie. Anyway, they were helping me unload the groceries and Emma said, "Mom, all you bought was fruit and vegetables." She said it in a half whine. I just commented happily, "That's right, they all just looked so good!" She started reaching in the bags to see what all was there and I hear her say, "Yeah! Broccoli! Yeah! Apples! Oh good, look Jake, mom bought pears! Thanks mom for buying my favorite kind of salad." Jake was in the kitchen by this time going through the bags as well. He said, "Mom, thank you, thank you, thank you -- I love dried cranberries! Did you get me any papaya spears?" I had to smile to myself listening to their comments. I did my "happy dance" while I sang, "Go Mommy! Go Mommy! Go Mommy!" Can you hear the bass?
It is good that we had a nice lunch because Beowulf was very disappointing to all of us. Jake and Emma couldn't wait to see it (partly because it is PG-13) and they kept saying over and over again, "that's not what happened in the book! How can they change the story that much mom?" They were right, it really wasn't much like the book at all. When it was over Jake said that if he ever became a movie producer he would like to make a movie that was like the book because the book was so much better! Emma enthusiastically agreed adding all of the things the movie left out. I just sat back and listened -more music to my ears!

So many of you commented on the pics I took last week of my dinner that I included one today. I made raw tacos tonight. SO GOOD! First I made a salad: 2 heirloom tomatoes (I used 1 red one and 1 yellow one because I like to mix the flavors and I think it is pretty), 1 red bell pepper, half a small purple onion, 2 avocados, 1/4 tsp cumin, 1/4 tsp chili powder, a garlic clove (crushed), Himalayan salt to taste, and cayenne pepper to taste. I chopped all the veggies and put them in a bowl and then added the spices and herbs. The "meat" was 1 and half cups soaked raw sunflower seeds, 1/2 cup soaked raw almonds, 1 package of sun-dried tomatoes soaked for 15 minutes, 1/2 TBSP of cumin, 1/2 TBSP chili powder, 1/2 TBSP onion powder, 1 clove of garlic, cayenne to taste. I pulsed it in the food processor until it was mixed well and has the texture of ground taco meat. We don't use taco shells, instead we use romaine lettuce leaves and layer the meat and salad on the leaf. I hope you like it! The most time consuming part is chopping the veggies for the salad --- unless you use your Vitamix on low speed like I did. I hope you enjoy this recipe -- it is one of my favorites!!!! I love to top it with fresh cilantro, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Phillip's 1st trip to the beach

Phillip's 1st trip to the beach
"I love this place!"

Beautiful Emma

Beautiful Emma
"I'm a model."

Sandtrap

Sandtrap
"Where are my toes? I can't see my toes."