Thursday, September 24, 2009

Green Smoothies for Dogs?


We have two dogs. Clyde is our wonderful mutt from New Orleans. He traveled to Nashville from New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina and we adopted him from a shelter. He is a Lab / daschund mix, we think. He is a strange little dog. When we moved to Texas Clyde was approximately 3 years old and began having seizures. At first they were pretty bad and even quit breathing a couple of times, but they seem to be milder now and have been 3 - 6 months apart. Clyde is our rocket dog -- he loves to run around the house as fast as he can and play.

We adopted Bonnie from the shelter about a year after we moved to Texas. She is a boxer/terrier mix. She is our lover dog -- she loves to cuddle, and thinks she is a lap dog.

I recently read Victoria Boutenko's book Green Smoothie Revolution and she talks about feeding pets (particularly dogs) green smoothies. I thought it was pretty funny when I read it. Then one day I had a little extra smoothie in the blender that would not fit into my cup so I thought what the heck? I poured a little into Clyde's bowl and a little into Bonnie's bowl. Clyde lapped it up quickly and then helped himself to Bonnie's portion as well. I did this every day for a week. Clyde loved all of the smoothies -- kale, spinach, watercress, romaine lettuce, etc. Bonnie would sniff, but not taste -- which was fine because that meant more for Clyde. After about a week I would turn the blender on and Clyde would come running and stand by my side waiting for his portion.

It is now his morning ritual as much as it is mine. He is so funny standing there, wagging his tail, and climbing over me to get to the blender when I start to pour it in his bowl. He has been having green smoothies for about 3 months and so far no seizures. It is really too soon to tell if they will help him, but I am hopeful. They have helped me so much, so maybe they can help him, too. I will keep you posted on his condition. Bonnie is still unsure and she misses out when she hesitates because Clyde gobbles it all up. We'll have to see if she changes her mind one day.

2 comments:

  1. LOVE the pic of Clyde and Spider Man.

    Hooray for green smoothies! My Maya (Siberian husky) loves them too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! That is one of my favorite pics. Maya and Clyde are pretty smart!

    ReplyDelete

Phillip's 1st trip to the beach

Phillip's 1st trip to the beach
"I love this place!"

Beautiful Emma

Beautiful Emma
"I'm a model."

Sandtrap

Sandtrap
"Where are my toes? I can't see my toes."