Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Bahama Mama!





Home again, home again! Wayne and I had such a good time in the Bahamas! We went to Nassau, which was a lot busier and more metropolitan than I imagined. Even so, it was absolutely beautiful! At the straw market, I met a new friend, Walter, who was an absolute jewel. He sells sea shells in the straw market and was pure joy to be around. If you ever go to Nassau and see him, please tell him hello from me. Wayne and I try to buy souvenirs that support the local economy and artisans. You also meet the nicest people that way!
We took a day trip out to a private island (only 5 people live there) and it was breath-taking! I fed sting rays and snorkeled in shark infested waters over the reefs. At first I wasn't going to do it. I was so nervous and scared! But then I talked myself into it somehow. I just thought, "this may be a once in a lifetime experience, am I really going to let this pass me by?" Even as I was walking into the water with my snorkel gear on I was thinking I was crazy for doing it. My heart was racing what felt like a million miles an hour. If you have ever snorkeled then you know once your face is in the water the only things you can really hear is yourself breathing and your heart pounding. I was literally talking to myself to slow down and take deep breaths. I am so happy that I did not miss it! Seeing the reefs was like seeing another planet, mysterious and mystical. It was scary, but worth working through the fear.
I also had the BEST pina colada I had ever put in my mouth! It was so YUMMY! (We let our hair down a little bit.) We walked all over the city so I got lots of exercise. Plus it was very easy to eat vegetarian, and even vegan as they have lots of fruits and veggies. We toured churches, local markets, beaches, Atlantis (which was incredible and uncomfortable), and even pirate museums. Wayne and I spent a lot of quality time together and had a blast just lazing around in a hammock on the beach for an entire afternoon!
I am so thankful for my parents who came and stayed with the kids so we could go, and for Wayne's mom who helped get the kiddos where they needed to go on Saturday when everyone had something scheduled at the same time. Without them, Wayne and I would never have been able to do this trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Phillip's 1st trip to the beach

Phillip's 1st trip to the beach
"I love this place!"

Beautiful Emma

Beautiful Emma
"I'm a model."

Sandtrap

Sandtrap
"Where are my toes? I can't see my toes."