Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Things I have learned on my Journey

I have had several people email me about my blog yesterday. It seems as though many of you are familiar with this uneasy feeling of which I speak. Let me say, one must be careful with what one says (writes). Yesterday I said I was going to embrace the feeling, pray, and meditate on it and try to be open to what came my way. Well, today I was invited to write a series of articles for the hypoparathyroidism association (HPTH) on my journey with the condition. I was also asked to teach a class to Presbyterian women on the book of Joshua. (For those of you who are unaware, I am a Presbyterian minister.) Anyway, I have learned, once again, that all I have to do is say I am ready (and mean it) and the doors will open. It is the "meaning it" part that is sometimes difficult.
The book of Joshua is not my favorite book and I will need to do some research to teach it in a way that will do it justice. It is definitely not what I would have chosen, but perhaps there is something there that I need right now. It feels good to be busy again. I am teaching a Sunday school class on Song of Solomon in the month of November. That will be kinda fun -- it is neat to teach a class that deals with something so taboo in our culture, especially when it comes to religion --SEX. Finally, in December I am teaching a seminar on the Marys in the New Testament. Fun! Six months ago I would have never attempted to do all of these things, which felt so strange to me since I was accustomed to doing much more than that before my health issues.
Now, I am feeling more and more like me every day. In fact, I think I am feeling even better than the "old me." As part of my self awakening and acceptance of what has happened in my life over the last two and half years I thought I might make another list. The following is what my journey over the past two and a half years has taught me:
1. Life is too short not to absolutely LOVE what you are doing and the people you chose to have around you!
2. When "experts" tell you there is no other way, you should always question their motives and do your own research.
3. Never be afraid to seek a second, third, or even fourth opinion.
4. Listen to your own intuition and make sure you know your body's signals -- it is very SMART, trust it!
5. Don't be afraid to try something new. When I decided to try a raw food diet many people were curious, but most thought I was little crazy and wondered if I was going to become a "crunchy post-hippie tree-hugger." I truly believe raw foods have given me my life back (and helped me embrace the crunchiness I've had in me all along.)
6. Never be afraid to ask for help. When I first got sick I thought I had to just go on at the same pace as always so that I wouldn't let other people down, and so they would think I was fine. When I quit trying to hide how miserable I felt and asked for help, I found it.
7. Life is too short to worry about what other people think about how I dance or sing. I am not very good at either, but I enjoy both.
8. Pets are a source of unconditional love. I have two of the best dogs in the world, two super-wonderful birds, 2 frogs, and 3 hermit crabs. My menagerie never fails to bring me joy.
9. Life is too short not to notice the beauty which surrounds us every day. Whether it be the sunrise, sunset, a piece of beautiful music or artwork, the moon, a flower, an insect, or the smile on a face.
10. Tell the people you love that you love them. Do this often -- and follow it up with action. Do not let them doubt your love for one, single minute.
11. Give of yourself everyday. This does not necessarily mean "help others" or "volunteer to help someone/thing." This means give of YOURSELF, not out of obligation, but out of love.
11. Give thanks every day.
On that note, thank you for reading my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Phillip's 1st trip to the beach

Phillip's 1st trip to the beach
"I love this place!"

Beautiful Emma

Beautiful Emma
"I'm a model."

Sandtrap

Sandtrap
"Where are my toes? I can't see my toes."