Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Master Cleanse


I have decided I am going to do a Master Cleanse. If you have not heard of it before, think lemonade diet. I have been doing some research on it for a couple of weeks because I have started to feel a little tired and crankier than normal. Also I am feeling a little bit backed up, if you know what I mean. I remembered reading about the possibility that this could happen once I started eating a raw food diet. The logic, as I understand it, is that I ate badly for a very long time. My new diet has allowed my body to heal and transform, but I have kind of a build up of all the bad stuff just waiting to be "flushed away" (quite literally, in fact).
I want to make clear that I am not doing this cleanse to lose weight. I am going to be accountable for the number of calories I take into my body. I am doing the cleanse so that my body can release all of the junk I don't need anymore. I am also doing the cleanse in hopes to regain my vibrancy and mood. Since my cheese binge a couple of weeks ago I have felt some cravings for some old comfort foods that are not good for me or healthy for my body. I want to completely get rid of those cravings and am hoping the cleanse will remind me that I am in control of my food and food choices -- food (and my emotions surrounding it) are NOT in control of me. Finally, I mentioned earlier this week that I feel change stirring in my soul and I am hoping that the cleanse will help me gain some clarity and perspective on where I am in my life right now. I was wrong about the finally part, I also want to do the cleanse because I want to be accountable to myself and my health. I have come too far with my new raw food lifestyle to turn back now. My health is better than ever and I want it to stay that way -- if the cleanse will help me do it, then I am all for it. Oh, I just thought of one more reason I want to do the cleanse -- I cannot bring myself to do an enema or colonics (something many raw food gurus recommend) at this point in my journey. I am not saying they are not good or warranted, I am just saying they are not for me at this time.
Stanley Burroughs developed the Lemonade diet in the 1940's, but the information about the diet is most accessible and accurate through Peter Glickman's book, Lose Weight, Have More Energy & Be Happier in 10 Days. I have read it from cover to cover and I am ready to begin. There is also a very helpful website by Peter Glickman -- http://therawfoodsite.com/index.html
Basically, you eat nothing for 10 days. You drink a cup of Smooth Move tea before bed each night. In the morning you mix some salt (not iodized) with 32 oz of water. Then you make lemonade from organic lemons, cayenne pepper, and Grade B maple syrup. You are allowed 6 - 12 glasses of lemonade during the day and all the water you want. All of the specifics for amounts and how to mix the ingredients are on the website I posted above. The book states that you may experience some detox symptoms, especially the first couple of days, but that they soon pass. It also talks in detail about those symptoms so you know how to recognize and deal with them better. In other words, if you are going to embark on the cleanse yourself, PLEASE take the time to read the book and decide for yourself if it is for you or not.
Anyway, I am both nervous and excited about starting the cleanse tomorrow. I will keep you updated and let you know how it goes. Please wish me luck! This pic was taken this evening (yes, I cut off all my hair -I love it!), I will take more pics along the way so you can see for yourself if there is any difference.

3 comments:

  1. The MC is a good thing to do. I'm rooting for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look great! And I love the hair!
    Good luck with your cleanse...
    peace and hugs,
    Lorena~
    RawDietitian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much...I am going to ask you both to save your cheerleading for a couple of weeks. I am postponing the cleanse until the end of October due to my friends' and family members' disappointment at the fact they had special "eating plans" at my favorite Raw Cafe' next week for my birthday. Phillip's birthday is coming 2 days after mine and then my parents are coming for a couple weeks and I want to make them some yummy raw dishes. Anyway, the cleanse is still on --just delayed a bit. After doing it for one day I am eager to see what 10 will do.

    ReplyDelete

Phillip's 1st trip to the beach

Phillip's 1st trip to the beach
"I love this place!"

Beautiful Emma

Beautiful Emma
"I'm a model."

Sandtrap

Sandtrap
"Where are my toes? I can't see my toes."