Thursday, December 10, 2009

A Family Experiment


I did a little bit of Christmas shopping this afternoon. The stress is on the find the last few things. I am having HUGE envy of my friend Joshua who does not celebrate Christmas in the traditional, American way. His family has decided not to buy presents for one another, but just to enjoy being together. I REALLY like that! I mentioned it to Jake and Emma and they looked at me like, "We're not going to do that are we?"
While Christmas can get very hectic and totally out of control, I have to admit I do like shopping for that perfect gift for people on my list. It is too bad we have to do it all at Christmas. I always try and put a lot of thought into the gifts I give and it really helps me to feel closer to my friends and family. The key is to keep it all in perspective, though. Christmas is not about presents, cookies, and decorating. While those things can be fun to do, Christmas is about so much more than that and that is what we tend to lose sight of the fastest.
Today we participated in a family experiment. We did not turn on the television or play any video games for the entire day. It made for a very nice day! We read books and talked, and all three children played very nicely together for an ENTIRE hour! We had to be very intentional with keeping Phillip occupied, but he did well. I think Jake and Emma were quite surprised to learn that they could live without it. I think we will make this an ongoing experiment at my house!

BTW -- here is a pic of my loaded salad today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Phillip's 1st trip to the beach

Phillip's 1st trip to the beach
"I love this place!"

Beautiful Emma

Beautiful Emma
"I'm a model."

Sandtrap

Sandtrap
"Where are my toes? I can't see my toes."