Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Loving Life

I did not fall off the face of the earth this weekend, thing have just been crazy busy! They are starting to settle down a little bit, but the next few weeks are a little busier than usual.

We were driving down the street today and Jake looks and me and asks, "Mom, can we read more of The Inferno today?" Need I say more? His words were music to my ears! This weekend he finished the last of the series The Chronicles of Narnia, too. Tonight he was searching amazon.com for another book or book series to read in his free time (We read a book together, like The Inferno, as a part of school, but the kids also have a book of their choosing to read on their own.) If you have any suggestions for an almost 13 year old boy, please let me know. I sent him to bed with The Pearl and Bless the Beasts and the Children. We'll see which one he chooses.

Yesterday I took Jake and Emma to see Bodies, The Exhibit in Dallas. If you haven't heard of this, it is an exhibit of real human bodies that have been dissected and then coated with a polymer. The bodies are "posed" like they are throwing frisbees, giving a high-five, etc., and you can walk around them 360 degrees. In addition they have individual body parts as well like lung, the hear, the kidneys and CT scans. The exhibit is spectacular! I took gross anatomy in college, but this was even better. Maybe that is partly because I don't have the stress of actually doing the dissections or making the grade, but it was also because the bodies weren't laying on platform and they were displayed in different planes. Jake and Emma had the "gross factor" at first, but they warmed up quickly and I they ended up really enjoying it! The room that showed fetal development was their favorite. If you get the chance to see this exhibit, I think it is in several cities, GO!

The exhibit was really aimed at promoting health as well. It showed diseased hearts, arteries, etc., and had displays about smoking, drugs, alcohol, and fat. I couldn't help but thinking that less than a year ago I was 40 pounds heavier than I am right now. I feel very blessed to be healthy now. I feel very blessed to have found the raw food lifestyle. It has literally changed my life, and maybe even saved it!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Phillip's 1st trip to the beach

Phillip's 1st trip to the beach
"I love this place!"

Beautiful Emma

Beautiful Emma
"I'm a model."

Sandtrap

Sandtrap
"Where are my toes? I can't see my toes."