Thursday, January 7, 2010

Home School: Emma's Adventures in Vegetarian Cooking




As most of you know, I eat a high raw diet. Wayne is trying to a high raw diet, and most nights I prepare two meals. One for me (and sometimes Wayne), and one for the rest of the family. This requires lots of planning, is sometimes tiresome, and can be tempting. I want my children to be healthy. I do not want to force them to be raw vegans, I want that to be their choice. So I came up with a plan to help me and teach them.
Yesterday I had Jake and Emma go through some vegetarian recipes and each choose three recipes they wanted to try. They were responsible checking the recipe list and we went to the grocery store where they had to find all of the ingredients they needed. Today was Emma's turn to prepare dinner. She made vegetable pasta. All of the kids like it. She gave herself a five on scale of 5 (with 5 being the best), and Jake gave her a 4. Not bad. Phillip ate it all, so that is really saying something. Emma was very impressed with herself.
She was so funny. She had to pick out an apron to wear while she cooked. My grandmother made aprons for me and I have a lot to choose from. Tomorrow is Jake's turn -- he is making veggie chili and baked potatoes. It worked out very well because tonight Emma cooked, so Jake did the dishes.
Having them cook for one another is GREAT for many reasons: 1)they learn to follow directions 2) math is in all the measurements 3) they see how much food costs (At the grocery store Jake said, "I can't believe all of this food is just for a few meals!") 4) They learn to cook and eat healthy and, 5) It is a big help for me! This way I can prepare a raw meal for Wayne and I without having to make two meals at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Phillip's 1st trip to the beach

Phillip's 1st trip to the beach
"I love this place!"

Beautiful Emma

Beautiful Emma
"I'm a model."

Sandtrap

Sandtrap
"Where are my toes? I can't see my toes."