Friday, January 8, 2010

E.R. Adventures and Cooking with Jake



Wayne and I decided to have a date night tonight. We went to see Avatar at the I-Max. We have already seen the movie once, but not in I-Max. Of course, you can tell that we like the movie. I have heard some say the graphics are awesome but the plot a bit shallow. I did not think that. I likes the plot and the graphics which were, by the way, AWESOME (and I am not a graphics person, believe me). Anyway, we got to the movies and watched all the previews and then Wayne got a phone call from his brother. He didn't answer it, but his brother just called right back and Wayne decided he better answer it. Turns out Wayne's mom fell and dislocated her hip (she has had 2 hip replacements in the past, and presently has a broken foot) and they were waiting on the ambulance to arrive. Needless to say, we did not get to see the movie. We left for the hospital immediately.
We actually beat the ambulance to the hospital, but they were not far behind. She was in a good deal of pain and popping it back in was pretty tricky because she did such a good job dislocating it. They gave her lots of pain medicine and then about twelve people manipulated her for quite some time before they got it to go back in. Luckily, she was pretty much out of it. When it was all over she didn't remember a thing even though she was awake. I told her it was too bad because she had 4 or 5 good-looking young paramedics in the bed with her. That part is true, they were actually standing on the bed trying to manipulate her hip back into the socket. She is going to be a bit sore for a while, but they will release her later on tonight.
So we had an adventuresome night! Not exactly what we planned, but I am so glad she is going to be okay. It is a little scary whenever a loved one is injured, and my poor husband and his brother are a bit wimpy when it comes to stuff like that. No one likes to hear their mama screaming. Their instinct is to look away and not touch, even though they wouldn't be anywhere else. Mine is to hold her hand and get her warm blankets. I am glad we were able to be there for her.
On another note, it was Jake's turn to cook tonight for he and Emma and Phillip. He made vegetarian chili covered baked potatoes. He gave himself a 5 out of 5, and Emma gave him a 4 out of five. He did a great job, even though he would not wear an apron and I had to bribe him to let me take his picture cooking. We discovered Jake has my knack for crying at the first slice of an onion (Wayne hardly ever cries). He ended up dry chopping the onion in the Vita-Mix (Gosh, I love that machine!) so we didn't drown one another out of the kitchen. The chili made the house smell very good, but I took his word that it tasted good. He was very proud of, and possibly even impressed with, himself.
By the way, Wayne is doing good on his renewed raw vegan diet, despite all of the cooking going on in my house. I am proud of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Phillip's 1st trip to the beach

Phillip's 1st trip to the beach
"I love this place!"

Beautiful Emma

Beautiful Emma
"I'm a model."

Sandtrap

Sandtrap
"Where are my toes? I can't see my toes."