Monday, November 9, 2009

Emma's Adventures at the Raw Food Meet up!


This morning I could not believe it was already Monday. Tonight I can't believe that Monday is almost over. This entire weekend flew by so fast. We were so busy with youth group, soccer games, choir practice, church, teaching, and dinners. Wayne and I had to split up to get everyone where they needed to go. Emma and I went to a Raw Food Meetup near our house. I found the group on Meetup.com and it was really GREAT! Wayne and I had been to a meetup once before. Everyone brings a dish and you can learn about other people, why they eat raw foods, how they prepare their meals, etc.
Emma, being ten and only about 30% raw was a reluctant attendee, but agreed to go. I told her she didn't have to eat a lot of anything, just to take a little bit of each thing and try it, and then she could go back and get what she wanted. We took raw almond cookies and pistachio-fig cookies, which were a hit. But, everything was a hit! Someone made raw mashed potatoes with gravy and marinated onions, cranberry sauce, and pumpkin pie (the mashed potatoes were made from celery root, and the pumpkin pie had no pumpkin -- only carrots and sweet potatoes). Someone else made bananas foster. There was lots of fruit and pine nuts from Italy. It was all very YUMMY!
Emma took a little bit of everything and liked everything. She had a third helping of pumpkin pie, seconds of cranberry sauce, ate her fill of fruit, and had lots of Mom's cookies. She really had a good time, and when people were asking what kinds of raw things I make at home she would say, "Oh she makes raw tacos and they are soooo good," or "she makes me a green smoothie I love." They really got a kick out of her. When it was time to go, she asked if she could come with me again next time! IT makes me feel good to know that I am helping her figure out healthy eating patterns before she is an adult and that she is learning that good for you foods can also taste really good!
I highly recommend looking up raw food meet ups in your area, and take your children, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Phillip's 1st trip to the beach

Phillip's 1st trip to the beach
"I love this place!"

Beautiful Emma

Beautiful Emma
"I'm a model."

Sandtrap

Sandtrap
"Where are my toes? I can't see my toes."